Search I-Reggaenation

Friday, August 6, 2010

Bob Marley's son Julian Ensures Father's love of Reggae lives on


REGGAE'S biggest ambassador Bob Marley pioneered the music genre, bringing it into the mainstream. His legacy lives on in his sons Ziggy, Stephen, Damian, Rohan and Julian.
You can experience the Marley magic for yourself as Julian performs at Exeter Pheonix on Sunday.
The 35-year-old has dedicated his life to his father's work spreading reggae around the world. I caught up with Julian while he was touring the UK with his band The Uprising.
"My music is spiritual and positive for the mind," Julian told me, speaking with a think Jamaican accent. "Reggae is a great music to carry a message. My songs talk about injustice, but have a positive energy"
Despite growing up in London, Julian has spent much of his life in Jamaica.
"There is a different vibe over there man," he said. "It has sunshine, beautiful white sandy beaches and a mellow atmosphere. It is an best place to make reggae music."

Julian recorded his first demo tape at the age of five in his father's recording studio in Kingston, Jamaica.
"I used to spend all my summer and Christmas holidays in Jamaica," he said. "Music was all I knew and it was always playing at home. I guess it just came naturally to me."
Bob Marley died aged 35, in 1981, when Julian was just six.
"The memory of my dad that really stands out for me is seeing him at a rock concert at Crystal Palace in 1980," recalls Julian. "There was a real electric atmosphere and when I went backstage to see him there was a lot of excitement. I only saw him briefly before he had to be on his way to his next gig. He was always in demand.
"I understand that my father was a loving person and didn't waste time worrying about any nonsense. He was a very spiritual person, learning from his experiences.
"I think my father's spirit lives on in all his children."
Like his father, Julian is part of the Rastafarian movement.
"It is a way of life for me," said Julian. "It is an extension of Christianity and has a lot of meaning."
Julian co-produced his current album, Awake, with his brothers Stephen and Damian, an experience he enjoyed.
"It was nice for us to work together," he said. "We have always got on really well and share a passion for music and football."
Julian hopes to keep reggae alive. "I want to keep on making good music," he said. "I want to keep it real for people, to progress and pursue new ideas. I want to help people be positive and less selfish in their lives and the decisions they make."
Sunday's gig starts at 8pm and tickets cost £15.50. Details: 01392 667080 or visit www.exeter phoenix.org.uk

0 comments:

Post a Comment