Search I-Reggaenation

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Damian Marley & Nas Adds Lil Wayne to "DISTANT RELATIVES" Album

Nas and Damian Marley have reportedly added incarcerated rapper Lil Wayne to their upcoming Distant Relatives album.


Based off a new tracklisting, Wayne will be featured on a track called "My Generation" with singer Joss Stone.


1. As We Enter 2. Tribal War (feat. K'NAAN) 3. Strong Will Continue 4. Leaders 5. Wisdom (Sabali) 6. Count Your Blessings 7. Dispear 8. The Promised Land (feat. Dennis Brown) 9. Nah Mean 10. Angola (Friends) 11. My Generation (feat. Lil Wayne and Joss Stone) 12. AfricaMust Wake Up (Feat. K'NAAN) 13. BONUS TRACK Ancient People (feat. Jr. Reid) (XXL Mag)


Nas recently spoke on the underlying theme behind his new joint album.



"Reggae and hip-hop are cousins,'' he said in an interview. "Go back before the '90s and think about the music that was playing on the ghetto blasters and you'll hear it...The whole world is like family, split up all over the place. It's overdue, and I want to help build whatever we can [in Africa]. I've worked with a lot of reggae artists, like Sizzla and Supercat, but not until [2005's] Jamrock did I get a chance to work with Damian. I love his music and I'm a big fan ofBob Marley and the whole family. We haven't worked out any tour dates yet. But I'm sure Damian and I will do something soon." (Miami Herald)


Last year, the rapper said he was unsure of how the fans' would react to the new project.


"I feel good about it," Nas said about the album and his legacy. "So I can't say how it's gonna affect my musical legacy. I just think that with everything I do, I want it to mean something. Like ['Tony Montana'] said, 'I tell the truth, even when I lie.' What he was sayin' is, he never lies. He's honest, even when he makes mistakes or misjudgements, he did it in truth. Everything I'm doing is because I feel right about it. The benefit of it [is] we contributed something to the world. Something like this...I don't know who's gonna like it, who's gonna hate it or whatever, but it's another contribution to the world. One more thing to just listen to." (Hip Hop DX)


The album is slated to drop this May.


This time, Nas and Damian focused on a common theme: Africa. "We always thought we'd give something back to Africa," says Marley, who will donate proceeds from the disc to various charities. Highlight: the funky, horn-driven "As We Enter," which samples Ethiopian musician Mulatu Astatke and features Nas rhyming "Ghana" and "Obama." (Rolling Stone)

0 comments:

Post a Comment